Meissen Figures, 1730-1775, The Kaendler Period is a super book packed with useful illustrations: A book to captivate collectors and enthusiasts of Meissen porcelain figures. Published in 2001 by Schiffer Publishing Ltd, it includes range price guides, giving a lower and upper valuation (in US dollars) for each range - rather than pricing pieces individually. Although the prices are now outdated, they still give a rudimentary idea of what the reader might expect his or her treasures to be worth.
Perhaps more important, is the chronology of the Meissen Porcelain Factory, covering the period from 1700 to 1775. This is supported by a list of the factory's modellers and the artists and engravers who inspired them.
Many of the models outlined in the book are photographed, often in colour and frequently alongside the original engravings which inspired them. Individual annotations are numbered and include the name of the figure, the name of the modeller, the first known date of production and the size in both inches and centimetres.
Meissen was a German porcelain producer, heavily influenced by King Augustus II. Believing the firm's other modellers to be lazy drunks, the King hired Johann Joachim Kaendler (1706-1775) - a young stone carver - in 1731. Kaendler was to prove an astute appointment: He was a workaholic with a prolific output, spending much of his life working long hours in the factory and frequently taking his work home with him. His influence on the Meissen factory was immense, but it also impacted on much of the European porcelain market.
You Might Also Like:
About the Author: Yvonne Adams
The author, Yvonne Adams, is a renowned expert on Meissen porcelain. She is both a dealer and a collector and is frequently seen exhibiting at international antique fairs. She previously wrote:
- Meissen Portrait Figures, written in association with Len Adams, first published in the UK by Barrie & Jenkins, 1987.
Yvonne is currently based in Stow on the Wold in Gloucestershire, England, and specialises in models by Peter Reinicke, Frederich Elias Meyer, Johann Friedrich Eberlein, Johann Joachim Kaendler, all of whom feature in Meissen Figures 1730-1775, the Kaendler Period.
About the Publisher: Schiffer Publishing Ltd
Schiffer Publishing Ltd is a family run business which was originally started in 1974 in Atglen, Pennsylvania, and continues publishing to this day. The company now has a number of imprints:
- Schiffer - Inspirational and educational publications
- Schiffer Military - Military and aviation history
- Schiffer Kids - "Seed and Steam" learning, books to inspire children
- Red Feather - Books for mind, body and spirit
- Schiffer Fashion Press - Inspirational, historical and instructional fashion books
- Whitford Press - Mind, spirit and paranormal
- Tidewater Publishers - Life and history of Chesapeake Bay
- Cornell Maritime Press - Maritime history, law, salvage and related subjects for marine businesses
- Geared Up Publications - Specialising in deep sea fishing books
- LW Books - Collectibles price guides, particularly ceramics
- Chronology of the Meissen Porcelain Factory, 1700-1775
- Meissen Factory Modellers
- Artists and Engravers Whose Work Inspired the Meissen Factory Modellers
- Regarding the Price Guide Ranges
(The stated numbers below are the illustration numbers, not the manufacturer's number)
Street Traders in Europe - Numbers 1 to 110
Court Life - Numbers 111-172
Music - Numbers 173-198
Military - Numbers 199-212
Hunting - Numbers 213-224
Italian Comedy - Numbers 225-287
Satire - Numbers 288-296
Children - Numbers 297-357
Allegory and Mythology - Numbers 358-392
Religion - Numbers 393-403
Artisans - Numbers 404-431
Peasants - Numbers 432-457
Gardeners - Numbers 458-466
Different Nationalities - Numbers 467-537
Index of Illustrations
Book Outline: Meissen Figures, 1730-1775, The Kaendler Years
Title: Meissen Figures, 1730-1775, The Kaendler Years
Author: Yvonne Adams
Published by: Schiffer Publishing Ltd, 1st edition, 2001
Format: Hardback, with dust jacket
Pages: 208, including text, captions, illustrations and range guide prices
Size Approx: 222x286mm
Approx weight: 1,316g
Estimated Book Value: Meissen Figures, 1730-1775, The Kaendler Years
If you need values in US dollars, Euros or a host of other major currencies, a currency converter is included in the right hand sidebar of this page, and another in the footer area.
Meissen Figures, 1730-1775, The Kaendler Years, estimated value of the pictured copy, which is in very good condition in a very good dust jacket, £40.
Estimated value of the same book in mint (as new) condition, with a mint dust jacket, £65